Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Avoiding the Eeyore Syndrome - Forgetting the Past

We all know it.
 
We've often felt it.

Like a stray cloud on an otherwise sunny day, it can come up suddenly, blocking the warm rays, and making everything seem ... well, darker.

I call it the Eeyore Syndrome.

Of course, its been called by other names as well:
 
* Discouragement
* In a "funk"
* Feeling low
* Being "out of sorts"

It hits people in ministry often. Too often. And when it hits, it usually hits hard

It doesn't matter if you are a full-time missionary or pastor, a campus fellowship student leader, a youth group volunteer, or a Sunday school teacher. It doesn't discriminate between people based on age, maturity, or experience. 

And, it often sneaks up when we least expect it ...

* After a big "victory", just when the high is beginning to wear off;

* When you've prepared and prayed for the "event" (either a Bible study, a speaking opportunity, a class, some counseling time) and it seems like NOTHING happens. Nothing, that is, except blank stares and disinterested looks.

* You look ahead to the tasks and expectations before you and think, "There's no way I can do all of this!"

* As you consider your past (that is, your "qualifications"), you are prone to despair, "How can God use anyone like me?" 

In those moments (and seasons) of darkness, God's Word can bring great hope and light. As the lion of the gospel is unleashed on our minds and souls, we can experience the refreshment of true grace.

Over the next few weeks, I'd like to share some truths for those Eeyore days. 

Truth #1: My past does not determine my future. Jesus does.

You've done it, haven't you? You look in the rear-view mirror of your life and think, "Can God ever use someone like me? I mean, if people only knew what I did, and still continue to do ..."

When those thoughts enter my mind, the storm clouds begin to gather.
 
Every once in while, a quote reaches down, grabs my heart, and shakes it until gospel-hope sets in. This is one of them (it's longer, but it's so worth it)...
... this is one of the great discoveries of the Christian life (and I shall never forget the release which realizing this for the first time brought to me) - you and I must never look at our past lives, we must never look at any sin in our past life, in any way except that which leads us to praise God and to magnify His grace in Christ Jesus ...

If you look at your past and are depressed by it, if as a result you are feeling miserable as a Christian, you must do what Paul did. "I was a blasphemer" (1 Timothy 1.16) he said, but he did not stop at that. Does he then say, "I am unworthy to be a preacher of the gospel"? No! In fact, he says the exact opposite: " I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, because He judged me faithful, appointing me to His service." (1 Timothy 1.12) 

When Paul looks at the past and sees his sin he does not stay in a corner and say, "I am not fit to be a Christian, I have done such terrible things". Not at all! What it does to him, its effect on him, is to make him praise God. He glories in grace and says, "... and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." (1 Timothy 1.14)

This is the only way to look at your past.
Martin Lloyd-Jones, Spiritual Depression 
Isn't that great!

In spite of my past (all of my sins, all of my failures, all of my broken promises, all of my shameful thoughts & deeds), Jesus has judged me faithful, and appointed me to His service.

Wow!

The apostle Paul wrote about it this way:

"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. 
The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5.17

".... Christ Jesus has made me His own ... so one thing I do: 
forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 
I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3. 12-14
   
In theological terms, this is the great doctrine of justification.

What it means, simply yet powerfully, is this: 

God has accepted the perfect righteousness of Jesus (read Romans 8. 1-11). Throughout His life, Jesus kept the Law of God perfectly, in every respect and in every circumstance. In His death, Jesus took the place of sinners, and bore the penalty for all Law-breakers (like you and me). The Law is fully satisfied. Justice has been met. God said He would punish the law-breaker, and He did. Period.

We are forgiven. Of everything. Forever.

But ... it gets even better!

God credits the perfect righteousness of Christ to us (read Romans 5. 1-5). God now regards us as righteous, and declares and pronounces us to be righteous before Him.

Thus, your past no longer "counts". Your "goodness" is no longer the issue. 

The rock-solid foundation of Christian salvation is this - Jesus was good enough, His past is perfect. And by faith you are in Him. Right now.

The key to avoiding the Eeyore Syndrome ...
Say farewell now once and forever to your past. Realize that it has been covered and blotted out in Christ. Say, "It is finished; it is covered by the Blood of Christ." This is your first step ... It is only then that true happiness and joy are possible for you. What you need is not resolutions to live a better life, or trying a little harder. No! You just begin to say:
"I rest my faith on Him alone
Who died for my transgressions to atone."
Martin Lloyd-Jones
Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Mark thanks for writing this! This is perfect for a friend that I was having a conversation with just last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! If God is for us, who can be against us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!

      That's why I love the words of the old hymn:

      "Well may the accuser roar
      Over things that I have done.
      I know them all, and thousands more!
      But Jehovah knows not one."

      Delete